Have you guys been paying attention to Vegan MoFo this month? You should be!
Earlier in the year I had every intention to be part of this awesome vegan celebration of food but with this CRAZY pregnancy and thus lack of consistency in posting I thought it better to be an observer this time around – which I am loving. There are some crazy-good looking recipes being published every day as well as lots of fantastic MoFo themes. For example, Cadry’s Kitchen’s Back in Thyme theme which is taking her readers through time for some awesome vegan food while simultaneously through space by introducing us to vegans around the country. And then there is Fork and Bean’s Candy Theme …um yum! At this point I can’t take my eyes off Cara’s Homemade Vegan Rolos.
If I were participating in Vegan MoFo and creating recipes from a theme this month I’m thinking it would be focused around the apple. With the beginning of fall and everyone headed back to school, what food better represents September? And with apples literally falling from trees right now, I can’t use them fast enough. Last week I featured my Baked Apple Cider Donuts on the blog. Since then I have been experimenting will all kinds of recipes (like this one below) and I really can’t stop. I even threw some into my (Daiya) havarti cheese quesadilla for lunch today – might be my new favorite thing.
Hopefully next year I will participate in VeganMoFo. As for now I will share the recipes I create. Oh, and just a heads-up, you might want to buy some apples.
Join my apple mania with these individual, inside-out apple crisps. Overflowing with warm spiced oats and topped with homemade caramel sauce, it’s hard not to fall in love. And so easy, yet so elegant, this may be the perfect recipe for your Autumnal dinner parties.
- 4 Granny Smith Apples
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, non-hydrogenated (I use earth balance)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup non-dairy creamer
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Core and slightly hollow out the apples. Do not remove too much fruit or the apples will lose shape when baked.
- In a small bowl combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and spices. Cut in vegan butter, mixing by hand until fully combined and oats mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Scoop oat mixture into the apple, packing lightly.
- Place in baking dish and bake apples for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- To make the caramel sauce combine sugar and water (just enough to cover sugar) in a small pot over high heat and bring to boil. Do not stir; agitating the sugar will cause crystallization. Continue boiling for 5-10 minutes until the sugar has melted and begins to turn a rich golden brown.
- Immediately remove from heat and slowly add non-dairy creamer while whisking. The caramel will bubble up quite a bit so use caution while adding creamer. Let caramel set for 20 minutes to thicken.
- When ready to serve, top each apple with caramel sauce and serve warm.
- Note: Make Inside-Out Pear Crisps by replacing apples with pears. Before hollowing out, slice the bottoms off of the pears so they stand up straight. Bake for 20-25 minutes at the same temperature.
You might also like: